About this item
- EASY TO FLY RC AIRPLANE: The best and most convenient traditional trainer for first-time pilots and experienced pilots who teach others to fly
- LEARN TO FLY: Scaled down from one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes—the E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Equipped with exclusive SAFE technology that helps prevent crashes and makes it easy to learn how to fly
- ADDITIONAL PARTS AVAILABLE: Full line of replacement/spare parts available
- READY-TO-FLY: This RTF version is 100% complete including a controller/transmitter, battery and charger so there’s nothing extra to buy or provide
Even if you’ve never flown a radio controlled (RC) airplane before, the HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m is designed to make learning to fly with a more “traditional” trainer easy and fun! It’s an updated version of one of our best-selling trainer aircraft – the Mini Apprentice S 1.2m – and is scaled down from the larger E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m design so it’s more affordable and more convenient to fly at large parks and sports fields in addition to typical RC flying fields. The Apprentice S 2 is equipped with Horizon Hobby’s exclusive and innovative SAFE technology, making it possible for almost anyone to learn to fly successfully. Beneath its durable exterior, pilots will find an efficient brushless motor along with a telemetry-capable ESC plus a Smart battery and charger (battery and charger sold separately for the BNF Basic version). The wide-stance tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel and oversized tires offers improved ground handling for easier take offs and landings. Optional floats can also be installed for takeoffs and landings on water!
- Scaled down from one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes—the E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m
- The best and most convenient traditional trainer for first-time pilots and experienced pilots who teach others to fly
- Equipped with exclusive SAFE technology that helps prevent crashes and makes it easy to learn how to fly
- This RTF version is 100% complete including a controller/transmitter, battery and charger so there’s nothing extra to buy or provide
- Full line of replacement/spare parts available
READY-TO-FLY Completion Level
In The Box
- (1) HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m
- (1) Brushless Outrunner Motor (installed)
- (1) 30A Brushless telemetry-capable ESC (installed)
- (4) Servos (installed)
- (1) Spektrum AR631 6-Channel Receiver (installed) and (1) Spektrum DXS 2.4GHz DSMX Transmitter
- (1) Spektrum 1300mAh 3S 11.1V 30C Smart LiPo Battery with (1) Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Charger
- (1) Product Manual
Needed to Complete
- Nothing! Everything you need to fly is included.
SAFE Technology Makes Flight Easy
Multiple Flight Modes
Beginner: Pitch and bank angle limits prevent over-control. Airplane automatically returns to level flight when the control sticks are released. Makes it easier to take off and land.
Intermediate: More freedom in pitch and bank, but still prevents significant over-control.
Experienced: No pitch or bank angle limits – allows flexibility to fly inverted (upside down) and perform aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, stall turns.
- PANIC RECOVERY: Switch to Beginner Mode and release the sticks if you lose control in Intermediate or Experienced modes. SAFE technology automatically returns airplane to level flight.
- Quick and easy assembly—no glue or special tools required
- Capable of aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls and upside down (inverted) flight
- Lightweight yet extremely durable EPO construction perfect for first-time pilots
Spektrum Smart Battery and Charger
The RTF version includes a Spektrum 3S 1300mAh Smart LiPo battery and an S120 USB-C Smart charger that can be used with a variety of USB power sources. Simply connect the battery to the charger, and the exclusive Smart technology will determine and start charging at the best rate to properly and safely charge the battery automatically!
The Apprentice S 2 1.2m is equipped with a telemetry-capable ESC that can provide a variety of real-time power system related telemetry data to compatible transmitters. This includes approximate flight battery power remaining via multiple LEDs and audible alerts from the DXS transmitter included with the RTF version. It will also provide motor RPM, current, overall battery voltage and more to Spektrum AirWare equipped transmitters (including the DX6e and 8e, DX6 G2/G3 and 8 G2, the DX9, the NX6, 8 and 10, the iX12, iX20 and others) while you fly.
Construction with advanced EPO material delivers a lightweight yet durable airframe that’s tough enough to handle everyday flying punishment without getting bent out of shape. The wing attaches to the fuselage with rubber bands so it can twist or “pop” free in the event of a hard landing or crash to minimize damage. And in the unfortunate event you damage any airframe parts or components and can’t repair them, a full line of replacement parts is readily available.
The Apprentice S 2 arrives mostly factory-assembled with the power system, servos and receiver installed. All you need to do is finish some quick and easy final assembly, without the use of glue or special tools, and you’ll be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery!
The wide-stance tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel and oversized tires offers improved ground handling for easier take offs and landings on a wide variety of surfaces from paved runways to grass parks and even dirt fields.
Turn the Apprentice S 2 into a float plane with the optional float set (HBZ7390; sold separately). Installation takes just a few minutes and all the necessary hardware is included with the airplane and float set.